So, how much does it really cost to remodel a kitchen from the floor up? Lucky you! I have just gone through a complete kitchen remodel and kept really good records so that I could share all the details with you. Check out our remodel reveal HERE.
First let me say, It’ll cost more than you expected. There will always be something that comes up that you didn’t budget for. Second, I’ll say that there is NO BETTER ROOM TO SPEND MONEY ON THAN THE KITCHEN.
Having a beautiful functional kitchen has changed the way we live, the way we cook, and the way we entertain. Not to mention, it has definitely increased the value of our home.
So, here goes:
KITCHEN REMODELING COSTS:
- Demo of existing kitchen– FREE through our local Habitat of Humanity.
- Floor Repair– We had existing hardwoods but there weren’t any underneath the cabinets, we had to have someone lace in new wood and sand and refinish the kitchen. Price: $1438
- Drywall and Framing– We turned an existing closet into a double oven cabinet. Price: $500
- Cabinets– This is where we saved about $15,000. We had a client who was demo’ing their kitchen and they sold us their old cabinets. Price: $2000.
- Moving Huge Appliances: Included in the price above from their kitchen was a 46″ Kitchen Aid paneled refrigerator. That sucker weighs 800 lbs. I paid professional appliance movers to deliver it and install it. Price: $800
- Pod’s Storage: We had to store the cabinets while the prep work was being done on our kitchen. We got a Pod unit. Price: $386
- Appliances: We got a double oven, induction cooktop, built in microwave and a nugget ice maker. Price: $7772
- Countertops: We selected a honed Snow White marble. The Island has a 3″ mitered edge. I had 83sf of countertops. Price: $6057
- Carpentry: I had to pay someone to layout and set the cabinets, build the pieces to fill in like a new drawer bank under the cooktop and a custom stove hood and add decorative details and trim. They also installed new soft close slides on the drawers. Also, we had a custom 13ft long banquette built. Price: $7000
- Electric: We had quite a bit of electric work. We moved the ovens, needed a new conduit which made us need to expand the capacity of our box. Price: $2000
- Plumbing: Included installing faucets, disposal, instant hot water and our ice machine. Price: $725
- Plumbing supplies: Faucets, sink, instant hot water: $2464
- Hardware: This was my splurge item. You could do this for much less: Price: $1503.01
- Backsplash Tile: Price: $872.91
- Backsplash Tile Installation: Price: $1200
- Banquette Upholstery & Fabric: Price: $1660
- Lighting: We got a new island light and new sconces over the sink. Price: $391
- Ceiling tiles: We had to order some extra ceiling tiles to touch up from demo. Price: $55.90
- Vent Hood Insert: Price: $200
- Garbage Disposal: Price: $220
- Water Filter for Ice Machine: Price: $70
- Cabinet Painting: Price: $1000 (Obviously, we do this for a living and didn’t charge ourselves but did pay some labor and materials. If you are trying to budget, I’d put about $5000 in this column for a kitchen the size of ours.)
KITCHEN REMODEL GRAND TOTAL: $39, 340.82
A couple of thoughts on this budget. We were our own project managers. If you are hiring a company to do this for you, expect to pay at least 20% on top of this. We had a couple of splurge items, our $3500 ice maker and our cabinet hardware.
I think these two items balance out the fact that we didn’t pay for cabinet painting to make our budget a realistic one for most people.
I hope this helps you when you are planning your own kitchen update. We’d love to help!
If you want your kitchen to make you as happy as this one makes me, we’d love to talk to you. We do everything from custom cabinet painting to full kitchen project management and design. Fill out the form below if you’d like more information.
We would love to hear from you! Please fill out this form and we will get in touch with you shortly.
Leave a Reply